International Students.

At York College of Applied Studies, we make education accessible for students from all over the world. We cover a wide range of business, health & technology, both in a practical and theoretical level, while building for our learners a solid theoretical background.

Living in Toronto.

Toronto is the largest city in Canada and one of the most diverse locations in the world. It is home to a wide range of museums, theatres, festivals, communities, and organizations. There is something for everyone here – if you know where to look. Here are some resources to help you get started. However, make sure you do your own research! There is so much that the city has to offer.

Useful Links
City of Toronto: History, Art & Culture
City of Toronto: Festivals & Events,
A Guide to Toronto’s Arts, Culture and Entertainment
Eventbrite Toronto
Toronto’s Thriving Live Music & Concert Scene
Toronto Theatre
Toronto Film Festivals
Bloor St. Culture Corridor
Gardiner Museum
Write your awesome label here.

Outdoor Activities.

If you are interested in outdoor activities (e.g., cycling, swimming, camping, skiing, hiking, nature walks, etc.) or just want to be outside, there are many options available in the city and province. Here are some resources to get you started:
Useful Links

Ontario Nature
Ontario Trails
City of Toronto – Parks, Gardens & Beaches
Outdoors & Recreation Toronto
Parks Canada
Ontario Parks


Toronto has a truly diverse population, which is reflected in its cuisine. There are many different culinary experiences you can have. Here are some links for you:
Useful Links

Foodism Toronto
CBC Food Guide – Suresh Doss
Farmers Markets Ontario
Kensington Market
St. Lawrence Market
Food festivals
Write your awesome label here.

Getting Around in Toronto.

City of Toronto Transit

Toronto city’s public transit system, Toronto Transit Commission or TTC
Buses, subways, and streetcars are all part of the citywide public transportation network that is run by the TTC.
If you have a disability, you can learn about the accessibility features in the TTC system on the Easier access on the TTC website.
The TTC also offers Wheel-Trans, which is a para-transit service that provides safe and accessible transit options specifically for persons with disabilities.
You can book your trip  either online or by phone.
The easiest way to use the TTC is by purchasing a Presto Card, external link. However, you can also purchase individual passes, or pay with cash.

Can International Students Work In Canada?

As an international student, there are opportunities for work in Canada. Use the section below to determine what work rules you need to follow and the type of work opportunities that are available to you while pursuing your studies.
Write your awesome label here.
Write your awesome label here.

Eligibility to Work Off-Campus

Full-time international students enrolled in a post-secondary program at a Designated Learning Institution may work off-campus without a work permit if they meet all the following conditions:
  • You have a valid study permit;
  • You have already started to study in your program;
  • You have obtained a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • You have met the conditions on your study permit that confirms on- and off-campus work eligibility;
  • You are enrolled in a program for more than six months, which leads to a degree or diploma.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

You require a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which is a nine-digit number, to work in Canada or to be eligible for government benefits and programs. It is also used to file taxes, however, certain students can also get an Individual Tax Number (ITN) instead.
A SIN can only be assigned to one individual, and no other person is permitted to use it. You are responsible for protecting your SIN. Do not carry your SIN around with you; instead, save any documents containing it and other personal information in a secure location.
For more information, visit the Service Canada website.
Write your awesome label here.
Write your awesome label here.

Who is eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

Uou must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit to apply for a SIN:

    “May work 20 hours per week off campus or full time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in paragraph 186(v)  of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations”
    “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria, per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w)  and must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”
    “May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies”

Canadian Visa For Programs Shorter Than 24 Weeks.

You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts 6 months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada. Most travellers need a valid entry document such as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa to visit Canada. This will depend on your citizenship or your situation. All visa-exempt foreign nationals except for U.S. citizens need an eTA to enter Canada as tourists. The eTA authorizes to visit Canada for up to six months or until the date prescribed by a border services officer upon arrival to Canada. Applying for an eTA is a simple, inexpensive (CAD$7) process that takes just a few minutes to complete online. In addition to a fast process, the eTA is electronically linked to a traveler’s passport and is valid for five years or until the passport expires. Travellers with passports from visa-required countries and territories need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada. A visa is an official document that is inserted into a passport giving permission for you to come to Canada.
Write your awesome label here.

Canadian visa for programs longer than 24 weeks.

If you are an International Student, you will be required to apply for a Study & Work Permit through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Depending on your country of citizenship, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in addition to your permits.
These are some of the required documents to apply:
  • Proof of acceptance
  • Proof of Identity
  • Passport with at least 15 months left before expiry
  •  Photo (IRCC has specific requirements for the Visa application photograph)
  • Proof of financial support
  • Letter of explanation
We encourage future students to seek to consult when applying for the Study & Work Permits. In addition, here is a link to a good resource to help you get started. If you are transferring to York College from another Canadian educational institution, you must notify IRCC when you change institutions through your MyCIC account. It is your responsibility to know and understand the International Student Immigration Regulations.
For more information, visit the IRCC website.
Write your awesome label here.
Write your awesome label here.

How to Apply

Applying is easy. Once you have submitted the online application form, one of our admissions team members will contact you to schedule an in-person or an online interview. You’ll then be guided through the next steps. Visit our admissions page for more details.
Designated Learning Institution Number: O275157104632
Join the community

Sign up for our newsletter.
Get exclusive news, tips & tricks

Thank you!
Created with