Better Jobs Ontario

Better Jobs Ontario is a government initiative in Ontario that helps underemployed or redundant individuals. The program offers a second career program, which allows you to quickly gain in-demand skills for the job market. At York College of Applied Studies, the Better Jobs Ontario program can help you find suitable jobs that align with your career goals.


Tuition fees listed are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change without notice. For the most up-to-date fees and schedules, please contact our Admissions Office. 
York College provides affordable education by offering a variety of financial options and flexible payment plans to both domestic and international students.
Write your awesome label here.

You may be elegible if

you were laid off, termed ‘redundant ‘or are unemployed.

You were Laid-off by the company after 2004

you worked part-time

You have taken maternity or paternity leave in the past five years

You need disability benefits for training duration

you have received Employment Insurance (EI) or currently receiving EI

-If you are eligible - You can get up to $28,000-

York College of Applied Studies offers approved courses under the Better Jobs Ontario program that can provide maximum benefits for tuition, books, transportation, child care, manuals, and living expenses.

Benefits of taking the Better Jobs Ontario

New directions fresh perspective

  • There are many options for you based on your skills and background.
  • You just need guidance on how to start fresh.
  • At York College of Applied Studies, you'll receive the right assistance to prove you can improve with a second opportunity.

Get new skills

  • Choose your course and gain the knowledge you need to thrive in today's competitive environment.

Offers fund

  • The Ontario Government has allocated funds to assist Ontarians in acquiring the necessary skills for employment.

Financial Aid

  • The best part of Better Jobs Ontario is the financial aid, which is a grant provided by the Ontario Government, not a loan.

How to apply for the Better Jobs Ontario?​

To access this funding opportunity, you need to select a Full-time program which compliments your experience and skill set.
The primary intention of Better Jobs Ontario program is to ensure that you get through the occupation listed under the National Occupation Classification (NOC) codes of B or C. So, make sure to follow this requirement while choosing the course.
 There are several employment agencies set up by Ontario Government to guide the individuals. They will give proper training to help choose the best career, keeping in mind the skills and talent you have. box

Some of things you will need for your Better Jobs Ontario application?​

Period for which you have been unemployed or looking for work
All the places and position you have applied till now
Level of education
Past details of the work
The skills and job you want to train for are in demand
The skills you want to learn and why you want to learn them.

Frequently asked questions

How much money can I receive through Better Jobs Ontario funding?

The Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) will grant each student up to a maximum of $28,000 to cover tuition, books, transportation and living expenses for up to two years.

What does Better Jobs Ontario not cover?

  • Any funding over the maximum limit of $28,000 maximum
  • Beyond 2 years of education
  • Beyond 1 year of academic upgrading
  • Missed or failed courses: students will have to pay an additional fee in future semesters to recover courses
  • Funding beyond the end of the academic year
  • School supplies such as note books, pencils, paper, etc.

If I have special circumstances, is there flexibility in the funding rules??

Additional support may be available to the students for: accessible learning accommodation, dependent care, living away from home and academic upgrading. 

Contact your Employment Ontario (EO) Case Manager or MTCU Representative to find out more. While MTCU will consider student circumstances on an individual basis, students should be prepared for the aforementioned restrictions.

Who do I contact if I need to discuss issues regarding my funding?

Contact either your EO / Case Manager or your MTCU Representative.

Some of the information in my SC Letter of Acceptance/SC Cost Estimate is incorrect. How can I get it changed??

Contact the Better Jobs Ontario Program Officer at the Community Partnerships Office and alert her/him regarding the situation.

The book costs and/or tuition fees stated on my Better Jobs Ontario acceptance letter are lower than the actual costs. What should I do?

Book costs and tuition estimates are based on the previous year’s allowances and are therefore subject to change as stated on your SC Letter of Acceptance/SC Cost Estimate). Students may contact the Community Partnerships Office to confirm the current costs of books for their program. Students should also contact their EO / Case Manager or MTCU Representative if they require an amendment to their Second Career contract.

 I used my living expenses to cover extra school materials? Can I get this money back??

It is important that students carefully monitor how they spend the money they receive through Better Jobs Ontario. MTCU may require students to submit receipts to demonstrate that they have followed the funding guidelines outlined in their contract.
If you have spent more money on books or equipment than was originally estimated on your SC Letter of Acceptance/SC Cost Estimate, you should contact the College’s Better Jobs Ontario Program Officer (Community Partnerships Office) to have the document amended.
Please note however that materials, such as supplementary books or computer software (not required by your Professor or Course Outline), fabric, paper, etc. related to school projects are not covered by Better Jobs Ontario Funding and the Community Partnerships Office will not be able to issue a new letter of acceptance to cover these costs.

How many hours in a week can I work?

Second career students are allowed to work no more than 19 hours per week. Always consult with your EO Case Manager or MTCU Representative before you begin work and report all supplemental income, not identified on your original SC contract.

 Can I change programs?

The MTCU does not typically grant program changes. However, the Ministry reviews each student’s application on an individual basis and may take into consideration extenuating circumstances or the nature of the program switch and its impact on your length of study. Students should first speak with their EO Case Manager or MTCU Representative and the College’s Better Jobs Ontario Program Officer (Community Partnerships Office) before making any changes to their program pathway.

What happens if I plan to quit school?

Students should always notify their EO Case Manager or MTCU Representative before withdrawing. Leaving school without notifying the MTCU could result in an overpayment of Better Jobs Ontario funding, which you may be required to pay back. Before making any changes to your registration status always speak to your EO Case Manager or MTCU representative for further guidance.

What happens if I fail a course or a semester?

If you have failed or dropped courses, speak to your Program Coordinator or program department to determine when you can retake this course(s) and to revise your class schedule. Also speak to the College’s Better Jobs Ontario Program Officer to assist with any necessary revisions to your SC documentation. Better Jobs Ontario funding may not be extended for course/semester re-takes. Students must advise their EO Case Manager or MTCU Representative of changes to their course load.

Something has come up and I need to take a break from school. How does this affect my SC funding?

The MTCU does not provide SC funding during breaks in a student’s program of study. Students should always contact their EO Case Manager or MTCU Representative to discuss the nature and length of the break and whether they plan to return to school at a later date. Students contemplating a break from school should also speak to their Academic Department and/or Program Coordinator to discuss how breaks in training might impact their program length and their eligibility for and date of return. This information will be very important and should be submitted to your EO Case Manager or MTCU Representative. Students returning from a break in their programming will likely be required to submit revised documentation (SC Letter of Acceptance/SC Cost Estimate from the College) to the MTCU in order to reinstate SC funding.

Is there any general advice I should follow?

Maintain a good relationship with your EO Case Manager and/or MTCU Representative and keep their contact information. If you are having trouble communicating with them, speak with the Manager of the EO Center where you submitted or SC funding application or contact the MTCU branch where your application was processed. Keep receipts for all books and expenses related to your program.

Take advantage of support services provided at GBC, such as the Community Partnerships Office, Counselling, Disabilities Services, Career Services, Financial Aid, Student Association, etc. The more you reach out, the better you will be able to advocate on your own behalf.

Created with